Dentures- What Can I Eat?
Dentures restore oral abilities and your smile. However, they are not your natural teeth, and not parts of your body. You should not expect to use them the same way as your natural teeth. Denture patients should carefully watch what they eat with them to prevent damage. Here are two short lists of foods to be careful while eating, and items to avoid completely.
- Foods to Be Careful Consuming – Foods to try to avoid or be careful while eating
- Acidic Foods: Such as citrus juices and fruits
- Sugary foods: Avoid overly sugary foods
- Dehydrating Foods: Dehydration is bad for acrylic dentures. Patients should avoid, liquor, tea, coffee, etc.
- Foods to Avoid Absolutely
- Nuts & Seeds: These can cause physical damage to your dentures. Also avoid fruits that contain seeds like guava
- Hard-to-Chew Foods: like underdone steaks, pop-corn, dry fruit, etc.
- Hard candy– In all types.
Dentures require care. Good care will prolong their longevity, making things easier for you. These points are relevant.
- Eating will expose the dentures to food particles. You should always take out your dentures and rinse them after eating.
- Dentures are made with acrylic; so they are quite brittle. If they are dropped accidentally, they may break or crack. In either situation, they can not be repaired or worn. Handle them with care, preferably over a towel.
- Invariably clean your mouth after taking your dentures out. Anything remaining there will stay under the denture, leading to infection.
- Keep your dentures clean by brushing them at least once a day.
- Dentures need to be kept in a soaking solution or clean water when they are removed at night. Not doing this will cause them to dry up and warp. This means they will no longer be well fitted.
- Always rinse your dentures before putting them back in your mouth, especially if they have been soaking in a solution.
If you feel that complete or partial dentures are a good choice for you, visit our dental office in Alameda County. We will give you the best possible experience and a beautiful smile. We are located in Oakland, CA near by Alameda and Berkeley. Schedule an appointment with our experienced & caring staff today.
Check Out Our Others Posts!
Previously, removable implants for the full mouth or partial dentures were common options for replacing missing natural teeth. Dentures are however a less popular alternative compared to getting permanent teeth, and dental implants are gradually becoming the most...
Dental Implants have multiple advantages Natural Appearance, Abilities, and Feel - A set of teeth on stable and secure implants will work and feel like natural teeth. This is done by attaching new natural looking crowns (the upper segments of teeth) to the...
Everyone knows that coffee, tea, citrus, and acidic foods aren’t great for your smile. Over time, acid can break down the layer of enamel protecting your teeth. Every time you consume acidic food, the enamel softens and your teeth lose minerals. Your saliva will...
A Trusted Name In Dental Implants
Zahid H. Ahmed, DDS, FICOI, FAGD
Committed to exceptional dental care, with a gentle touch.
Dr. Zahid Ahmed combines current advances in dentistry with holistic health to bring patients the best possible dental care. His goal is to provide patients with personalized service, creating lasting relationships based on trust and expertise.
Dr. Ahmed received his DDS from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. He has worked as an Assistant Clinical Professor at UCSF and maintains a position as Clinical Instructor at Stanford University. He is recognized as a Fellow in both the Academy of General Dentistry (FAGD) and the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (FICOI). He believes continuous learning in dentistry allows him to stay current, and provide the best possible dental care for his patients.
Contact Us Today!
We proudly serve the San Francisco Bay Area including Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley, San Francisco, and the entire East Bay. We are located in the historic Pill Hill Neighborhood in Oakland.
Zahid H. Ahmed, DDS, FICOI, FAGD
Monica Louie, DMD
Call: (510) 338-3117
2844 Summit St, Ste 206, Oakland CA, 94609
Mon: 9am - 6pm
Tues: 9am - 6pm
Wed: 8pm - 4pm
Fri: 8am - 4pm
Weekend appts available