The titanium post is secured in the jawbone by following the proper diagnostic and surgical procedures without causing the patient any discomfort. These restorations most often provide the best replacement for a missing tooth. They can be used to replace a single missing tooth, or for or multiple teeth. They are an excellent option to help secure and support dentures as well.
BENEFITS OF DENTAL IMPLANTS
A UNIQUE APPROACH USING ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY TO IMPROVE YOUR DENTAL HEALTH.
AM I A CANDIDATE?
- Potential candidates should practice regular oral hygiene maintenance.
- Patients with diabetes or those who take any other systemic medication can still get new permanent teeth, as long as the condition is under control and will not lead to any type of dental surgery risk.
- Patients should have enough dense jaw bone available; if not, then artificial bone graft needs to be placed at the potential surgical site.
- Patients must not have any kind of periodontal disease
- Patients must not smoke, or they should be willing to give up smoking, particularly during the Osseointegration stage (when the titanium roots are fusing with the jawbone)
- Patient should have good general health
- Patient should be motivated to practice healthy lifestyle habits, a regular oral hygiene regimen, and routine post-surgical dental visits.
WHY ARE THEY NEEDED?
- When teeth are extracted the bone begins resorbing naturally, the artificial roots mimic the stimulation given by natural tooth roots and therefore helps to prevent bone loss or resorption.
- Tooth loss can affect both the function of eating food and facial appearance.
- Adjacent teeth can be affected by the gap left from a lost tooth since it will cause the teeth to shift and therefore makes the mal-aligned teeth more vulnerable to breaking or cracking.
- To avoid supra-eruption of natural teeth in the opposite arch from the lack of antagonist teeth.
NOT RECOMMENDED IF:
- The patient has certain medical conditions that may create severe postoperative complications during surgery, like heart disease.
- Patient is currently receiving any treatment for cancer or certain bone diseases
- Patient following certain immunosuppressive therapy required for any organ transplant
- They are not recommended for children since their jawbones are not fully developed yet.
DENTAL IMPLANTS PROCEDURE
The permanent tooth procedure requires that either one, or multiple (depending on how many teeth are being replaced) titanium posts are placed into the jawbone with pressure controlled drills.
Some patients may need some preparatory procedures before the procedure can be done. For example, if a patient has a deficient or weak jawbone, a bone graft may be needed to enhance the patient’s jawbone and create a supportive foundation for the placement. Bone grafting will affect your time frame for the procedure since it will take 6 to 9 months for the bone to heal properly.
If bone grafting is not possible, then such patients can get mini dental implants which are thinner in diameter than conventional ones. Because of their smaller size and shape, they can be placed in a smaller amount of bone.
It usually takes from 4 to 6 months for the bone and gums to fuse around the new artificial root during a process called Osseointegration.
During recovery, the patient will have many appointments with the dentist to evaluate the overall healing of surgical location.
In the meanwhile, the dental lab will create customized restoration which should be ready to be placed as soon as site is healed completely.
DENTAL IMPLANTS POST SURGERY CARE
- Usually any discomfort goes away within the first 24 to 48 hours.
- You can decrease your healing time with pain medication and moist heat.
- You should eat soft foods for the first few days and avoid strenuous physical activity.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush gently to avoid opening up the sutures.
- Use a special mouthwash to help get rid of oral bacteria.
- You should also swish your mouth with warm salt water several times a day.
- Once the gums are healed completely, the patient has to care for your new teeth just like your natural ones. You need to brush them at least twice daily and floss at least once.
- Special brushes and floss can assist with cleaning the hard-to-reach parts of your new teeth.
- Patient should also attend regular exams and cleanings.
- With proper aftercare and hygiene, your new teeth could last a lifetime.
Dr. Ahmed provides a wide range of services at our office in Oakland. He has advanced training in permanent tooth restoration and is a Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists. With his experience as a Clinical Instructor at multiple Medical Centers around the San Francisco Bay Area, he has been involved in teaching and training new doctors in dental technology. He has taken advanced courses and stays current by following peer-reviewed scientific literature and attending national conferences around the country.
See us for a free consultation in our Oakland office to review your options. If you are missing a tooth, or maybe struggle with your dentures, this procedure may help to restore your chewing function, and make your smile healthy again. We will review your goals for treatment, and evaluate the gums and bone to see if getting new permanent teeth is right for you. Dr. Ahmed proudly serves patients from Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley, and all around the Bay Area.
Committed to Exceptional Dental Care
Talk To Dr. Ahmed
No Pressure 30 Minute Consultation
Unsurpassed Implant Experience
Cost Effective Treatment
Simple Payment Options
STRIVING TO MAKE YOUR DENTAL HEALTH AS AFFORDABLE AS IT IS COMFORTABLE.
Give Our Oakland clinic a call at 510-319-0189
or request a consultation below!
Contact Us Today!
We proudly serve the San Francisco Bay Area including Oakland, Alameda, Berkeley, San Francisco, and the entire East Bay. We are located in the historic Pill Hill Neighborhood in Oakland.
Zahid H. Ahmed, DDS, FICOI, FAGD
Monica Louie, DMD
Call: (510) 338-3117
2844 Summit St, Ste 206, Oakland CA, 94609
Mon: 9am - 6pm
Tues: 9am - 6pm
Wed: 8pm - 4pm
Fri: 8am - 4pm
Weekend appts available